Wednesday 3 September 2014

Patchwork Challenge Update, a Guest Blog from Paul Parsons

May at Parc slip was quiet on the passage bird front.  I spent the middle two weeks on a birding trip to China and as far as I know, I only missed out on a Common sandpiper which was found on the wader scrapes. 

Chiffchaff, Paul Parsons

During May and June I saw nothing new for the list but it was good to see 2 pairs of Little ringed plover successfully breeding on the new scrapes, with newly hatched chicks seen on 6th June. 

July started quiet too with nothing new until the months end when a Greenshank and Green sandpiper were reported from the scrapes, I did manage to see the Sandpiper the next day but the Greenshank had moved on. Also a pair of Tufted duck had 8 ducklings on the Northern wetlands. 

Redstart, Paul Parsons
August was better, with some autumn migration evident towards the months end. I saw my first Collared dove of the year on 3rd and Grey wagtail and Redstart were added to the list on 14th. 2 Tree pipit and a Lesser whitethroat were new in the Willows at the end of the canal on 19th and a Common snipe dropped onto the wader scrapes on 21st. 

Lesser whitethroat, Paul Parsons
Finally 3 Spotted flycatchers were new on 31st, taking my total to 88 for the year.  Migration will be in full swing for the next 6 weeks and hopefully something good will turn up after the forecasted easterly winds this week.

Spotted Flycatcher, Paul Parsons

No comments:

Post a Comment